Take screenshots or make display screen recordings with the Display screen Seize app now constructed into Chrome OS.
Screenshot help has lengthy been constructed into Chrome OS. Press Ctrl + Present Home windows to seize a PNG of all the pieces in your display screen. Or, press Ctrl + Shift + Present Home windows after which click-and-drag to seize a particular rectangular space.
Lately, Google added a Display screen Seize app to Chrome OS that not solely permits you to report your screen–optionally, with audio, as well–but additionally features a new method to take screenshots. That is helpful, since display screen recording on a Chromebook beforehand required third-party extensions or apps.
SEE: Google Sheets: Suggestions and methods (TechRepublic obtain)
Learn how to use the Display screen Seize instrument
First, ensure that your Chrome system is up to date to Chrome 89 or newer, then observe the steps under.
1. Click on within the lower-right nook the place the Wi-Fi, battery and clock indicators show.
2. Choose Display screen Seize (Determine A).
3. Subsequent, choose both Seize (picture) or File (video).
4. Modify the realm to be captured: the total display screen, a portion of the display screen or a window (as proven in Determine B).
5. Optionally, if you choose File, you additionally might choose the sprocket after which change audio recording from the microphone on or off.
6. In the event you select to seize or report a portion of the display screen, click-and-drag to specify the part to seize. In any other case, click on anyplace on the display screen to both seize your picture or begin recording. When completed recording, click on on the pink report button that shows within the right-side of the shelf to cease recording.
7. Entry latest display screen captures both from the shelf (within the lower-right nook space) or wherever your system shops Downloads. To learn to change the obtain location, see: Learn how to change your Chromebook Downloads folder to make sure you at all times have your information accessible.
The Display screen Seize instrument saves screenshots as PNG format photographs, whereas recordings are saved in WebM format information. Information in each codecs can be utilized with Google Workspace apps. For instance, you may insert PNG or WebM format information in a Google Slides presentation or on a Google Websites web page.
Observe: WebM display screen recordings might not play on each system.
Traditionally, Apple’s Safari browser has not supported WebM information, though, early 2021 beta releases point out that WebM help might arrive quickly for Safari on macOS. To verify in case your browser helps WebM, go to the WebM detect web page. For optimum viewability, you could need to convert WebM information to a different format, akin to MP4, to make sure that it is going to show correctly on most gadgets. Try Convert greater than 200 file varieties in your browser with CloudConvert, to study one file conversion instrument that works nicely for internet-connected Chromebooks.
Different choices? Your expertise?
Whereas Display screen Seize handles primary screenshot and recording duties on Chromebooks, third-party apps should make sense for many individuals. Utilities, akin to Loom for Chrome, Nimbus Screenshot & Display screen Video Recorder and Screencastify – Display screen Video Recorder, do rather more than merely seize and save photographs and recordings. These apps allow you to seize your webcam alongside along with your display screen recording (so your webcam exhibits as an inset video), make primary edits to seize photographs and recordings in addition to retailer or export information in several codecs (e.g., MP4, GIF, and many others.). All three of those utilities present some performance free of charge, with paid improve choices accessible.
What screenshot or display screen recording instrument do you utilize most frequently in your Chromebook? Do you discover Google’s Display screen Seize instrument adequate on your wants, or do you favor further options supplied by third-party screenshot and recording apps? Within the feedback under or on Twitter (@awolber), let me know what strategies you utilize to seize your Chromebook display screen.