Virtual Private Server Hosting, or simply VPS Hosting, is a go-to solution for people whose website experience more traffic. However, just migrating to VPS Hosting may not be a permanent solution to all your problems. It is important to configure and optimise the settings to get the most out of your VPS Hosting plan.
Steps you should take to optimise your VPS Hosting
As Virtual Private Server Hosting provides more administrative control and root access, it may appear to be confusing at first, especially if you are making the switch from Shared Hosting. However, following the steps enumerated below will help you keep your server in the best possible condition.
- Configure your cache: Enabling cache can significantly boost the performance of your server. Caching involves temporarily storing frequently used files with RAM. Since the need to go through the whole script every time for fetching static files is eliminated, it drastically reduces latency. Application cache can be configured with the help of dynamic applications, thus saving the load on the RAM.
- Firewall for security: It is used to protect against incoming and outgoing network packets. Thus, enabling them can provide an extra layer of security which would help in the smooth functioning of your VPS server. It is also an effective tool to guard the server against any DDoS attacks. Although configuring a firewall may require a little technical know-how, it is worth the time.
- Content optimization: It is rightly said, “content is king.” The content your server delivers affects its performance and your website ranking as well. There are many paid and free tools available in the market which could suggest better content delivery by analysing it. Tools such as Google’s PageSpeed Insights not only measures the page speed but also gives recommendations for potential improvements.
- Defragmentation: It is the cleaning process for your server, where the data stored across the hard disk are accumulated in one place. It also puts the layers in place which can be accessed quickly. This helps speed up the server as well as keep it healthy.
- Updating MySQL: Updating your MySQL database not only gives you peak performance but also provides better security to the VPS server. The updated MySQL version would provide on-demand flexibility which can help a business to scale as per their requirement.
- Consider Content Delivery Network (CDN): A Content Delivery Network stores the server data in many data centres globally. When the user’s browser asks for a particular data, it is delivered through a CDN data centre which is in close proximation to the user. This reduces resource usage of disk space and bandwidth. A CDN improves page load speed, thus influencing a web site’s search ranking as well.
- Optimize KeepAlive: KeepAlive is used to maintain a connection between the client and the server. The timeout value of KeepAlive should not exceed 5, while the Max Request it can receive should be set to 100.
It is necessary to regularly check your VPS settings regularly to ensure a fast, seamless and efficient server. A Virtual Private Server Hosting offers a scalable, secure and reliable hosting option, you simply need to remember the above points and ensure regular option.