To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s greatest and most necessary tales delivered to your inbox every single day at 3 p.m. PDT, subscribe right here.
Good day and welcome to Day by day Crunch for June 25, 2021. We’ve an ideal block of startup information and Amazon protection for you right this moment. However earlier than we get into all of that, a be aware that there are solely two weeks left earlier than our TechCrunch Early Stage 2021: Advertising & Fundraising occasion. It’s going to rock, so test it out and get prepped. — Alex
The TechCrunch High 3
- Amazon buys encrypted messaging service Wickr: If you happen to thought it was unusual that an e-commerce firm runs the world’s greatest public cloud service, it might really feel even stranger that that very same public cloud service simply purchased an encrypted messaging service. However within the platform period, tech firms wish to do every part, so we shouldn’t be shocked. Amazon’s cloud group intends to “proceed working Wickr as is and supply its companies to AWS prospects” beginning now. In associated information, Amazon and Google are taking whacks within the U.Okay. over pretend evaluations.
- Virgin is a go: The American authorities has cleared Virgin Galactic for business spaceflight. The results of the information? Shares of the SPAC’d firm rose by almost 39% right this moment. So, it’s a liftoff second for the corporate and its market cap.
- Didi’s complicated worth: Closing out our High 3 right this moment, TechCrunch took a take a look at the Chinese language ride-hailing big’s first IPO worth vary. We’re curious why it appears to be like and feels so low cost in comparison with its erstwhile rival, Uber.
TechCrunch stretched its legs right this moment, giving us loads to debate previous the standard funding spherical roll name. Right here’s what you must learn:
- What’s new in Deep Science: Behind the scenes of startup glitz and enterprise capital glamor is a bunch of scientific work, the stuff that powers the following era of tech and the startups of tomorrow. Devin Coldewey has a digest of science work starting from predicting liquid circulate based mostly on nonetheless pictures to AI techniques faking confidence.
- The quickly evolving early-stage market: If you happen to care about how and when and why early-stage startups increase capital, TechCrunch has tons for you this week. Right here’s a take a look at right this moment’s early-stage enterprise capital market within the U.S., and right here’s one other targeted on Latin America. Extra coming subsequent week what’s afoot in Europe.
And, in fact, a bunch of startups raised more cash. Listed below are just a few highlights to maintain you updated:
- Mercuryo raises $7.5M for crypto-powered, cross-border funds: One key use of blockchain tech that was touted years in the past was sending cash world wide. Conventional banking is famously dangerous at this, resulting in excessive charges and different points. Mercuryo might be cracking the mannequin and has crossed the $50 million ARR mark. Spectacular.
- Edge Delta raises $15M to tackle information evaluation giants: The startup’s new Sequence A places it into nearer competitors with Splunk, Datadog and different enormous firms that promote cloud-based information monitoring companies. The actual story is considerably technical, however joyful we had Frederic Lardinois readily available to clarify it to us.
- Fintual raises $15M for Latin American retail investing: The Robinhood-led growth in retail investing that the USA has seen lately is more and more changing into a worldwide phenomenon. And Fintual desires to take a chunk out of the pattern within the Latin American market. The Chilean startup now has a Sequence A underneath its belt to energy its combat in opposition to each regulation and incumbent gamers.
Musculoskeletal medical startups race to enter customized well being tech market
With greater than 50 million People affected by persistent ache and musculoskeletal (MSK) medical issues, a variety of startups are providing sufferers new merchandise “that don’t resemble the cookie-cutter establishment,” studies Natasha Mascarenhas.
Startups hoping to enter this area have an uphill climb. Setting apart rules that cowl features like product packaging and advertising and marketing, they have to compete with well-entrenched competitors from Massive Pharma as they attempt to associate with medical insurance firms.
Natasha profiles three firms which might be every taking a special strategy to customized well being: Clear, Hinge Well being and PeerWell.
(Additional Crunch is our membership program, which helps founders and startup groups get forward. You may join right here.)
Massive Tech Inc.
From the world of Massive Tech right this moment we simply have yet another entry, as we lined Amazon’s massive information up above. Natasha Lomas reported right this moment that “Microsoft-owned LinkedIn has dedicated to doing extra to shortly purge unlawful hate speech from its platform within the European Union by formally signing as much as a self-regulatory initiative that seeks to sort out the difficulty by way of a voluntary Code of Conduct.”
I needed to boost this explicit story as a result of it considerably underscores how web regulation is shaping up world wide. You wouldn’t see this story, say, in the USA, or at the very least not in the identical format. And in China, for instance, one other key web market, it might even have a really totally different taste. To a point it appears like we’re coping with three totally different — and more and more distant — internets. One thing for startups to chew on.
TechCrunch Specialists: Progress Advertising
TechCrunch desires you to advocate development entrepreneurs who’ve experience in web optimization, social, content material writing and extra! If you happen to’re a development marketer, move this survey alongside to your shoppers; we’d like to listen to about why they beloved working with you.
The outcomes from this survey will assist affect our editorial protection of development advertising and marketing. Right this moment, we have now a visitor column on Additional Crunch from Mark Spera, “5 firms doing development advertising and marketing proper.”